Intermountain Healthcare Histotech-Registered in St George, Utah
Greater St. George & Cedar City area
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining a world-class team of over 37,500 employees and caregivers while embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
To find out more about us, head to our career site here .
The Registered Histotechnician organizes and manages the flow of anatomic pathology specimens through the laboratory, from specimen receipt through preparation of final diagnostic slides.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of the principles of histology and autopsy service.
- 2. Performs all processing, embedding, microtomy, frozen section cryotomy and staining, routine and special stains, and immunohistochemistry appropriately and in a timely manner.
- 3. Troubleshoots and repairs instrumentation as stated within standard operating procedures.
- 4. Participates in laboratory accreditation inspections.
- 5. Performs and documents routine preventive maintenance on equipment, resolving problems as they arise.
- 6. Monitors QA indicators such as temperatures, instrument failures, etc., and takes corrective action when standards are not met.
- 7. May develop SOPS.
- 8. Performs and documents appropriate QC procedures and demonstrates the ability to resolve problems.
- 9. May assist the pathologists in the performance of autopsies including permit and paperwork review, patient identification, instrument set up, body preparation, evisceration, removal and weighing of organs, photography, obtaining special radiographs, and preparation of the patient for release to designated funeral home.
- 10. Properly identifies all patient specimens. Verifies identity, labeling, and submission information.
- 11. May assist with surgical pathology gross examination of surgical specimens according to education level and department competencies. This includes description, dictation and sampling for histology, and photography.
- 12. Provides technical information and assistance to physicians and hospital personnel for specimen submission, triage and special testing.
- 13. Manages specimen archives (wet tissue, frozen tissue, paraffin blocks, slides). Includes filing and maintenance of slides, blocks, and other specimens.
- 14. Provides appropriate orientation and training to new employees.
- 15. Arranges specimen radiography
- 16. Obtains and stores specimens for special procedures.
- 17. Prepares and sends out tissues samples for reference laboratory tests.
- 18. Maintains space and supplies for autopsy and surgical pathology.
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Full time - Early morning shift hours 5 am. - Rotate weekends
- Department:Laboratory Anatomic Pathology - Dixie Regional
- Current American Society of Clinical Pathologists certification as Histotechnician (HT). Note regarding certification: (If the test was taken on January 1, 2004, or later, there is a maintenance requirement to renew certification that must be done every three years. For Histotechnician's who took the exam prior to that time or who did not certify prior that date, this requirement is optional. So, there may be some grandfathering required of some of our current staff members.)HT (ASCP) certificationFlexibility to work a variety of shifts that may include weekends,holidays,nights,and on-call.
- Interact with others requiring the employee to verbally communicate information.
- Operate computers and complex and delicate lab equipment requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- See and read lab equipment, monitors, and documents.
- Remain sitting or standing for long periods of time to perform work on a computer or other equipment.
- One year experience in a histology laboratory
All positions subject to close without notice. Intermountain Healthcare prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, disability and/or genetic information.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Dixie Regional MC
Job Type Full Time
Location US-UT-St George