Intermountain Healthcare Respiratory Equip Assistant (Field) - Northern Wasatch Front in South Jordan, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining a world-class team of over 37,500 employees and caregivers while embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
To find out more about us, head to our career site here .
Under the direction of a Respiratory Therapist this position facilitates timely implementation and delivery of physician orders delivering home medical equipment and related supplies to patients. In addition, some Respiratory Equipment Assistants will also deliver Liquid Oxygen (LOX). As a valued member of the Respiratory Team, the assistant also provides important patient education.
Essential Job Duties
- Makes timely deliveries of Home Medical Equipment (HME) products and supplies to customers. HME equipment items may weigh up to 70 pounds. Follows Homecare HME protocol with regard to delivery timelines and processes.
- Patient Education: Conducts patient education as required ensuring that customers feel safe welcome and at ease. Documents the patient education exchange with appropriate forms.
- Intake: Takes intake information from source. Verifies the client specific needs and selects appropriate equipment based on assessment while adhering to physician orders. Generates Homecare order to meet client needs and ensures completion of all documentation and paperwork.
- Customer Service: Provides extraordinary customer service. Responds to both telephone and in-person requests for information in an accurate and timely manner. Ensures customer (e.g., referral source, co-worker, and patient) requests are triaged and handled appropriately and in a timely manner. Handles difficult situations with all customers in a positive, tactful, and professional manner. Provides instruction to clients and caregivers in the use, care, and safety of supplies and equipment provided. Makes timely and accurate deliveries.
- Order Processing/Documentation Requirements: Accurately completes or updates the following information as appropriate: Delivery or Pickup Ticket; handwritten sales invoice, delivery documentation via scan gun; Rental agreement, Return/exchange form; HME Assessment form; and Driver's Daily Activity Log. Maintains an understanding of Medicare, Medicaid, and third party billing requirements and all components of Homcare's equipment order processing system.
- Equipment and Supply Acquisition: Works with the store warehouse person in the acquisition of appropriate medical equipment and supplies in order to maintain acceptable par levels in stock.
- Communicates any problems regarding the patient's condition and use of supplies or equipment to the appropriate staff. Demonstrates keen problem identification skills and resolution abilities and addresses them in a timely manner.
- Completes charting and assessment notes in patient account for all respiratory equipment setups and/or exchanges of respiratory equipment. Logs appropriate progress notes in patient accounts as necessary. LOX employees only: Liquid Oxygen (LOX) Systems Handling. Maintains a high degree of knowledge related to how (LOX) systems work and how to operate them safely and properly.
- Entry Rate: $14.77 + (Based on Experience)
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Full-time, 36 hours/week.
- Department: Salt Lake City Homecare
- Additional Details: This position is part of a float pool that will primarily work in the Northern Wasatch Front between Bountiful and Logan. There may be occasional work assigned outside this area.
- Current driver's license, insured and reliable transportation and an acceptable driving record.
- LOX employees only: CDL Licensure.
- LOX employees only: Current-Hazmat Endorsement.
- Two years of customer service experience.
- Strong communication and telephone skills.
- Organizational and prioritization skills.
- Work independently and be self-motivated.
- Basic computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, internet, and e-mail.
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, assess patient needs, operate and identify HME equipment and supplies.
- Frequent interactions with both patients/customers and /or patient care providers, that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, equipment alarms, customer/patient needs, and issues quickly and accurately.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for documenting patient care; accessing needed information; dialing in settings on equipment; changing filters; and, threading of connectors and other equipment accessories.
- Will also bend to retrieve, lift, and carry supplies and equipment. Expected to utilize full range of movement in doing so. Typically includes items of varying weights, up to and including heavy items.
- Need to stand and walk to assist with distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling all types of HME/Respiratory equipment including 02 cylinders and hospital beds and other heavy items. Often required to set up equipment in crowded apartment buildings and rooms (full of furniture, equipment, power cords on the floor, etc). Need to ascend and descend multiple flights of stairs or uneven surfaces in order to access patients/customers in their homes. Employee needs to be able to squat/kneel in order to install HME equipment in the home.
- Expected to drive a vehicle which requires sitting, seeing and reading signs, traffic signals, and other vehicles.
- Experience in a health care related field.
- Medical equipment experience.
- Respiratory care knowledge through work or school experience.
All positions subject to close without notice. Intermountain Healthcare prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, disability and/or genetic information.
Working Hours 0
Primary Work Location HCS Salt Lake City Homecare
Expertise Facilities / Trades / Security / Warehouse
Job Type On-Call / PRN
Location US-UT-South Jordan