Intermountain Healthcare OR Tech I or II - Avenues Surgical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining a world-class team of over 37,500 employees and caregivers while embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
To find out more about us, head to our career site here .
The OR Tech I performs various duties as a member of the surgical team to ensure a safe and successful operative procedure. This position functions under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and directly reports to Surgical Services management.
Essential Job Duties
- Ensures room and all surgical items meet sterilization criteria.
- Maintains sterile field and safe environment.
- Prepares room and instruments for surgical procedure.
- Assists the surgical staff during the procedure, within the scope of practice.
- After procedure, cleans room and prepares for next procedure.
- Identifies emergency situations and exercises judgment when implementing procedures to respond to emergencies.
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: This position is 3 nine hour days, days must be flexible
- Department: Surgical Center - Avenue Surgical Center
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers.
- Completion of an accredited Operating Room Technician program (ORT)or graduate from a non-accredited surgical tech program within the past six months, but not currently eligible to sit for Tech in Surgery exam (NCCT)or two years of scrub tech experience in hospital or military surgical services within the last three years.
- Rural facilities are excluded from the requirement for Surgical Technologists to be certified (See ORT Rural Job Code #1322)
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, sterile indicator tags, colors, assess patient needs, operate monitors, identify equipment and supplies.
- Frequent interactions with patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment and instruments with precision and accuracy. This includes computer use and typing for documentation, accessing needed information, medication preparation, etc.
- Expected to lift and utilize full range of movement to transfer patients. Will also bend to retrieve, lift, and carry supplies and equipment. Typically includes items of varying weights, up to and including heavy items.
- Need to walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy items. Often required to navigate crowded and busy rooms (full of equipment, power cords on the floor, etc).
- May be expected to stand in a stationary position with personal protective equipment for an extended period of time.
- Active National Certification as an OR Tech in Surgery or Certified Surgical Technologist. Certification is required within one year of becoming eligible with a maximum of four years to become qualified for certification.
- Two years of surgical services experience.
All positions subject to close without notice. Intermountain Healthcare prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, disability and/or genetic information.
Working Hours 27
Primary Work Location LDS Hospital
Expertise Patient Care Support / Technicians
Job Type Part Time
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City