Intermountain Healthcare Social Worker in Riverton, Utah
Greater Provo area
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining a world-class team of over 37,500 employees and caregivers while embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
To find out more about us, head to our career site here .
The Utilization Review team at Utah Valley Hospital is hiring for a Licensed Clinical or Certified Social Worker. This position is based in the Emergency Department (ED), with the possibility of working shifts at Alta View Hospital, American Fork Hospital, and Riverton Hospital as well. The caregiver in this position will respond to and support ED patients and families in the following areas; Trauma, Drug and ETOH resources/assessments, Crisis assessment and placement, general Social Work resources and case management.
- Social Work Care Manager (LCSW): The Social Work Care Manager utilizes clinical expertise to care manage psychosocial and transition or discharge planning needs. The incumbent performs screening, assessment, and risk stratification to develop and implement a shared plan of care or treatment plan that provides extraordinary care for the patient while being sensitive to costs and resources. This position works collaboratively with patients, family caregiver(s), healthcare providers, insurers, community resources, and other involved parties.
- Certified Social Worker : Utilize clinical expertise to perform psychosocial assessment and develop/ implement a plan of care/treatment plan that provides extraordinary care for the patient while being sensitive to costs and resources. Work collaboratively with patients, patients' family/significant other, healthcare providers, insurers, community resources, and other involved parties to identify patients' needs, broker services, coordinate care and transition plans, and advocate for patients. The CSW will perform these duties under the direct supervision of an LCSW.
- Entry Rate: Commensurate with experience.
- Benefits Eligible: No
- Shift Details: PRN; Shift lenghts vary from 6- to 12-hours and include days/nights/weekends/holidays.
- Department: Utilization Review
- Additional Details: The caregiver hired for this position will provide care at Alta View, Riverton, American Fork, and Utah Valley Hospitals.
- Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited institution. Degree will be verified.
- Current State Licensure as Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Certified Social Worker (CSW).
- Computer skills (email, word processing, and spreadsheets).
- Hearing/Listening, Manual Dexterity, Seeing, Sitting, Speaking, Walking, Standing.
- Experience working with in a healthcare setting.
- Experience in an emergency and/or crisis setting.
- Experience in Case Management, Utilization Review, and/or Discharge Planning.
Essential Job Duties
Social Work Care Manager (LCSW):
- Organizes and prioritizes daily work by screening, assessing, and risk stratifying patient needs in area(s) of responsibility.
- Assesses the patient's medical, mental health, psychosocial, resource utilization, and transition or discharge planning needs.
- May diagnose and treat various mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders.
- Identifies problems and contributes to the development and modification of the patient's interdisciplinary plan of care to address changes in the patient's status and needs.
- Provides supportive, crises, and other social work interventions as necessary.
- Mediates and brokers between patients, families, and the interdisciplinary team.
- Actively supports patients with new diagnoses, life altering conditions, bereavement, and trauma support needs.
- Coordinates and collaborates with external agencies (i.e. DCFS, APS, law enforcement) when abuse, neglect, or exploitation is suspected or confirmed.
- May provide therapeutic modalities appropriate to the level of care.
- When assigned as the primary care manager, coordinates and communicates with the patient and family caregivers, acute care providers and the interdisciplinary team, post-hospital providers, payers, and external agencies (i.e. home care, skilled nursing facilities, long term acute care hospitals, community-based providers, mental health authorities, adoption agencies), as needed, to facilitate an effective transition or discharge plan and services to the appropriate level of care.
- May provide support and debriefing, in conjunction with the Employee Assistance Program, for staff members following adverse events.
- Provides support and education to address advance care planning needs (i.e. advance directives, palliative care, other) for patients, families, and staff members.
- May supervise students following guidelines and requirements established by their university and DOPL to provide an appropriate learning experience.
- Maintains an active role in payment denial prevention. Proactively intervenes with payers to prevent payment denials. Provides clinical expertise, as requested, to facilitate the appeals process.
- Completes timely and accurate documentation in the medical record using knowledge of documentation standards for the department to facilitate communication with team members. Documentation is done in compliance with clinical guidelines, contractual, regulatory, legal, and/or billing requirements.
- Ensures that productivity standards and expectations are met. May be credentialing through medical staff office and peer review requirements may apply if working in the behavioral health setting.
- Complies with federal, state, local, and clinical program and facility standards.
- Acts within the scope of the Mental Health Practice Act.
Certified Social Worker:
- Organize and prioritize daily work by assessing new, current, and discharging patient needs in area(s) of responsibility. Complete documentation as required.
- Perform social work consultation for patients and caregivers. Conduct psychosocial assessments. Under supervision of a licensed clinical social worker, provides supportive, crisis, bereavement and other social work interventions as necessary.
- Educate, communicate, and coordinate with multiple patient care teams and outside agencies as necessary to ensure the patient receives quality care, a timely discharge, and to identify and resolve delays and issues.
- Acts as an advocate on behalf of patients and families, where appropriate, to ensure effective communication with multidisciplinary care team, outside agencies and other resources as necessary.
- May provide psychotherapeutic modalities appropriate to the level of care under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker.
- Complete timely and accurate documentation in the medical record using knowledge of documentation standards for the department to facilitate communication with team members. Documentation is done in compliance with all clinical guidelines and billing/reimbursement standards.
- May ensure that productivity standards and expectations are met.
- Credentialing through medical staff office and peer review requirements may apply if working in the behavioral health setting.
- May provide support and debriefing under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker, in conjunction with the Employee Assistance Program, for staff members following adverse events.
- May identify patients at risk for potential avoidable delays, extended stay, readmission, financial or complex discharge needs. Coordinate with care providers and leaders to reach optimal solutions.
- Provide support and education to patients, families and staff members on Advance Directives.
- May maintain an active role in denial prevention. Proactively intervene with payers to prevent inpatient denials. Communicate any necessary information to payers to help appeal existing denials.
- May coordinate the discharge planning process from patient admission to departure. Screen for and assess patient needs, develop a discharge plan, and coordinate with internal and external services for care during and after the hospital stay.
- Works under identified licensed clinical social worker and actively participates in required supervision through scheduled meetings, consultations, and chart reviews as indicated.
All positions subject to close without notice. Intermountain Healthcare prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran status, disability and/or genetic information.
Working Hours 0
Primary Work Location American Fork Hosp, Utah Valley Hospital, Riverton Hospital, Alta View Hospital
Expertise Family Services / Mental Health
Job Type On-Call / PRN
Location US-UT-Provo, US-UT-Riverton, US-UT-American Fork, US-UT-Sandy, US-UT-Orem