Intermountain Healthcare OR Tech I in Murray, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining a world-class team of over 37,500 employees and caregivers while embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
To find out more about us, head to our career site here .
This position performs various duties as a member of the surgical team to assist the team in ensuring that the operative procedure goes smoothly and quickly and that a safe surgical experience is provided for the patient. This position functions under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and reports administratively to Surgical Services management.
Essential Job Duties
- Ensure room and all surgical items meet sterilization criteria.
- Maintains sterile field and safe environment.
- Prepares room and instruments for surgical procedure.
- Assist the surgical staff during the procedure, within the Scope of Practice.
- After procedure, cleans room and prepares for next procedure.
- Identifies emergency situations and exercises judgment when implementing procedures to respond to emergencies.
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Shift Details: Full time
- Department: Operating Rooms - Intermountain Medical Center
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers.
- Two years within the last three years of hospital or military Surgical Services experience as a scrub techor Graduate from a non-accredited surgical tech program within the past six months, but not currently eligible to sit for Tech in Surgery - Tech in Surgery-(NCCT)or Completion of an accredited Operating Room Technician program (ORT)
- Rural facilities are excluded from the requirement for Surgical Technologists to be certified (See ORT Rural Job Code #1322)
- Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels, sterile indicator tags, colors, assess patient needs, operate monitors, identify equipment and supplies.
- Frequent interactions with patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment and instruments with precision and accuracy. This includes computer use and typing for documentation, accessing needed information, medication preparation, etc.
- Expected to lift and utilize full range of movement to transfer patients. Will also bend to retrieve, lift, and carry supplies and equipment. Typically includes items of varying weights, up to and including heavy items.
- Need to walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy items. Often required to navigate crowded and busy rooms (full of equipment, power cords on the floor, etc).
- May be expected to stand in a stationary position with personal protective equipment for an extended period of time.
- Active National Certification as an ORT OR Tech in Surgery or Certified Surgical Technologistor Certification is required within 1 year of becoming eligible with a maximum of 4 years to become qualified for certification
- 2 years prior surgical services experience
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Intermountain Medical Center
Expertise Patient Care Support / Technicians
Job Type Full Time